Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The City

Hope everyone has had a wonderful week.  As for myself, last weekend was a blast, but this week has been dragging on.  I’m on the homestretch of my stay in DC-which means, in only 2 days, I’ll be back in Birmingham living the wonderful life. 

First, I am going to tell you about my weekend in The City (that’s what locals call NYC).  I am proud to report that my first trip on a real train was a blast.  Thankfully, I made friends with a local girl who taught me all about Union Station and the train system.  Union Station is absolutely beautiful-picture old world architecture mixed with new world comforts, such as Ann Taylor, a beauty salon, a cigar shop, and restaurants galore.  The most exciting part was how the conductor and train staff wore outfits just like they do in The Polar Express.  The train was packed, so, some frequent train-rider sat next to me and took it upon himself to teach me the history of the train.  He was very nice and once he spilled all his knowledge from 5th grade train history class, he quickly turned on his Apple to watch Mad Men.

Once in NYC, Lara met me at Penn Station, which is nothing like Union Station.  It’s more like your average subway stop with a few extra escalators.  Anyway, after a few rides to get above ground, NYC greeted me with a gigantic picture of the incredibly handsome, David Beckham.  Thank you NYC for the warm welcome—If only Bham will welcome me the same way. 


 During my stay in NYC, Lara and I strolled though Central Park, went shopping, ate at Little Italy, experienced the Black Market in China Town, had drinks at Eatily, and went to a club.  Lara decided she’d rather go to Eatily than the 80s party on Saturday night.  She made a good choice, Eatily was a blast! 

This week in DC has been uneventful.  The only exciting thing is that I get to go home soon.  I know Scott is looking forward to my arrival-his quality of life greatly diminishes when I’m gone.  My entertaining thoughts, low quality dinners, and inability to sit still, makes him happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment